Thursday, December 30, 2010

Day 274 - Cool Sax Man

The sounds were cool, and the weather was too--There was ice on the ground!  Yeah, it was downright cold outside, and here was this guy playing his tenor sax in the North Auburn shopping center.  I first heard of the guy while reading the Auburn Reporter one day several months ago.  The article talked about how somebody blew the whistle on him and made him stop playing his saxophone.  I commented on the article then, voicing my feelings on the matter.  Imagine my surprise when I heard him playing when I stopped by today after work!

The young sax player was taking a short break and I spent a few minutes talking with his dad who was there with him.  These are well spoken good people, and far from vagrants or panhandlers.  My opinion?  Auburn needs more culture like this.  If this is panhandling, it's passive panhandling and is of no concern.  Sure, the sax case was open to collect donations, but in no way, shape, or form was this "panhandling" like the people that follow you in parking lots with their sob stories.

I wish I could offer him a better, more appreciative place to play.  He made my day.

0 comments:

 
What are you looking down here for? Get outside and take some pictures!